Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Tennessee, day 3

Classroom Humor

Doc explains and explains and explains...

...until Glenn flashes his gold Rolex at us.

Why is this man smiling?
Ignore the fact that I am holding my M-4 improperly. I did that on purpose for this picture.

Because that's damn funny!

After class, I walked down Prater Road, and crossed over the border into Lakeview, Chickamauga County, Georgia.


Georgia.

The Peach State.

Where Leland B. Haraszthy M.D. was born.

Who?

Leland and I went to SOTE together in the 1980s, back when the Communists were still in power in Hungary.  Leland's dad was both a medical doctor and a Baptist minister.  Needless to say, Leland has all kinds of hangups about women, booze, and tobacco.  He is a very unhappy man.
Leland stopped talking to me 10 years ago after he wrote an email that was really bad.  He's really into astronomy, so he wrote me an email about how Mars is at its closest that it's been in the 6,000 year history of Earth.  I fired back an indignant reply that if he's a medical doctor who is licensed to treat human beings, I can't believe that he's so ignorant of basic science that he believes all of that fundamentalist baloney where they think that Genesis is a factual history of the world i.e. the world was created in 6 days.
Leland hasn't spoken to me, since.
I'm sorry that I lost him as a friend, but if you can't tell a friend that you disagree with their belief system, then there's a problem.

No comments: