Wednesday, November 3, 2010

The Chupacabra and Dumb American Voters

    An hour after voting, last night, I walked the Basset Hound, and she suddenly went on the alert.  I knew why: she had detected one of our local suburban coyotes.  The coyote reminded me of one of our previous Basset Hounds, Milhouse, who had the mange, which of course reminded me of a report on NPR's Science Friday about scientists' latest theory on  Chupacabras: they're mangy coyotes.


     What does this have to do with the Republicans?  Everything.  The long and the short of it is this: we live in a country where people believe in the Loch Ness Monster, Bigfoot, UFOs, and Chupacabras.  We imported the Chupacabra from Latin America, and added it to our pantheon of embarrassing beliefs. 


     So, I've been shaking my head, depressed about the Republican tidal wave, and how they're going to go out of their way over the next two years to not allow Obama to do anything, so that they can then scream about how he hasn't done anything.  The thing that has been bothering me is this:  Obama has only been president for two years, voters are jumping up and down screaming about the decifict, jobs & the economy, and they think that the solution is to hand back the reins to the same crooks and idiots who drove us over the cliff's edge?


Really??? 


     Then it hit me:  These are the same voters who re-elected* W after it was clearly established that there were no MWD, and he and Tricky Dick lied to get us into Iraq. These are the same voters who believe that Elvis is working as a bag boy at the Piggly Wiggly in Ashland, because they read about it in the World News. 

*If you want to quibble and say that he was never elected the first time, and that Gore should have become the president, my response is this:  Gore should have won that election in a landslide.  I mean, come on:  an educated intellectual policy wonk interested in science ran against an aw-shucks dummy from Texas.  The fact that the voters of this country didn't look at W and say, "Wow, what a moron," is a poor reflection of the populace.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Tom,

I disagree with your assessment of Gore (educated intellectual policy wonk), so I see the main problem as having to choose the lesser of two evils rather than any clear choice regarding who is better qualified.

I voted for Obama because it seemed like a real choice, but so far he hasn't done much to veer away from any of the Bush precedents. I agree that the voters are not being smart as regards to who got us into the mess we find ourselves in, but when the opposition can't change anything when they are in power it doesn't seem to make any real difference.

On a more upbeat note, I'm eccstatic that Californians lowered the threshold for passing a budget. I've reached the point that I don't care what direction the government moves in as long as it moves. Gridlock hurts everyone.

Tom Miko said...

Hey Dave,
I agree with you about Obama being a disapointment, but disagree about Gore.
Obama could have shoved some serious reforms down Congress' throat. See: http://www.ritholtz.com/blog/2010/11/the-tragedy-of-the-obama-administration/
As for Gore, he suffered from foot-in-mouth-disease but I have been following him since the early 80s, and when it was him vs Clinton for the Democratic nomination back in the day, I wanted Gore to be the Democratic nominee.
Unfortunately, the other part where you're right is that the system itself is broken.
Tom